- Schedule of Classes - November 28, 2022 7:30PM EST
- Course Catalog - November 28, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Children who grow up in multilingual environments have a profoundly different experience compared to monolingual children. In this course, we examine the nature and impact of this experience on the socio-emotional, cognitive, and linguistic development of young children, focusing on the complex multilingual and multicultural reality in Israel as our main case study. Specifically, we explore the multilingual development of children from several minority and immigrant groups in Israel: Arabs, Former Soviet Union (FSU) and Ethiopian immigrants, Israeli-born children of labor migrants, deaf communities, among others.
When Offered Fall.
Distribution Category (KCM-AS, SSC-AS)
Comments Fall 2022 will be the final offerring of this course.Outcomes
- Discuss the substance and validity of theories and empirical studies on first and second language acquisition.
- Discern and describe different developmental factors (i.e., linguistic, cognitive, and socio-emotional) that are affected by children's multilingual experience.
- Apply knowledge gained in objectives #1 & #2 to analyze and critique current developmental studies on the multilingual and multicultural experience of young children and adolescents in Israel.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: HD 2350
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Goldwin Smith Hall G64-Kau Aud
- Aug 22 - Dec 5, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: