- Schedule of Classes - June 24, 2022 7:28PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 24, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
How is public policy really formed in the United States today? Who are the key actors and decision makers who shape the laws and regulations that impact us at the local, state and federal levels of government? Most importantly, how do private individuals (lobbyists, trade associations, media and other influencers) sway how laws, rules and regulations impact our daily lives? The goal of this course is to provide a foundation of how private influence impacts our public policy. Building upon this foundation, students will learn who the key policymakers are in the public sector alongside of those in the private sector who seek to influence them. Students will gain knowledge through academic texts looking at the role of interest group politics in America as well as the Instructor's 30 years of experience working as a public policy practitioner working at the highest levels of government on Capitol Hill and the White House as well as being a former lobbyist and licensed attorney at law.
When Offered Fall, Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Recommended prerequisite: GOVT 1111.
Distribution Category (SBA-HE)
- Describe how special interest groups seek to influence government policy, and the extent to which they succeed. This relates to outcomes of disciplinary knowledge (political science, law), applying multi-disciplinary perspectives, and policy analysis / public economics.
- Develop written and oral communication skills through several papers, a policy analysis assignment, and required participation in class discussion.
- Develop critical thinking skills. Describe and analyze various readings, and participate in class discussions, and make logical arguments in written assignments.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- R Washington, DC
- Aug 22 - Dec 5, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Taught in Washington, DC
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: