- Schedule of Classes - April 13, 2023 2:00PM EDT
- Course Catalog - April 12, 2023 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Provides an introduction to a range of topics and skills related to engaging in research in the fields of human health and nutrition, including constructing research questions, searching and assessing available literature, considering ethical implications of research with humans and animals, working with scientific data, and communicating scientific work. Some weekly sessions feature expert guest speakers from around campus, and the course includes several workshop sessions designed to give students practical experience in important research-related skills. NS 3980 is a required component of the DNS Honors Program, but non-DNS majors may enroll, and DNS majors may enroll whether or not they are interested in applying to the DNS Honors Program.
When Offered Fall.
Satisfies Requirement Required component of the DNS Honors Research Program; DNS students interested in the Honors Program are encouraged to enroll in NS 3980 in the fall of their junior year. Participation in the DNS Honors Program is not required for enrollment in NS 3980.Outcomes
- Describe the processes, requirements, and general timeline for the DNS Honors Research Program.
- Describe basic key information related to professional research in human and animal research, such as the structure of scientific literature, strategies for effective literature searches, key ethical considerations in research using human participants and animal subjects, introductory methods for data analysis, and basic essential components of scientific communication.
- Describe the practical relevance of course content to a student's own research and understand the next steps to applying this content.
- Describe areas of research in human health and nutrition, including research activities in DNS.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit S/U NoAud(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- W M Van Rensselaer Hall 1151
- Aug 22 - Dec 5, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Open to all students. Requirement for students in NS Honors Research Program.
Disabled for this roster.