- Schedule of Classes - April 13, 2023 2:00PM EDT
- Course Catalog - April 12, 2023 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
This independent study course offers international engineering students an opportunity to reflect on professional and personal growth, challenges, and opportunities resulting from a recent internship (Curricular Practical Training, CPT). Typically, these internships take place in the summer and students, in the semester they return to campus, write a short paper describing their work experience and how it connects to the educational objectives of their particular major. The value of the course is in the deep reflection on expectations, successes, challenges and skills and knowledge gained during the internship in the United States.
When Offered Fall, Spring.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: international undergraduates in Engineering majors returning from internships in the USA. Not open to: CS students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: intended for international undergraduates in engineering majors other than CS.
Comments Students majoring in CS should enroll in CS 4997.Outcomes
- Examine the ways in which the internship experience met, exceeded, or did not meet the students' expectations at the outset. This includes the experience alignment with the employer's description as well as the students personal and professional set of values and ethics.
- Identify knowledge, skills, or other experiences (in the conceptual, technical and social realm) that would be beneficial going forward in preparation for successful future in a chosen career based on the internship experience.
- Weigh the benefits and the challenges of working in an environment that is culturally unfamiliar (an international setting).
- Synthesize the component reflections on strengths, challenges, expectations, and personal values into an exploration of potential career paths going forward.
Project Session Full.
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit Sat/Unsat(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory)
Disabled for this roster.