- Schedule of Classes - December 3, 2022 7:31PM EST
- Course Catalog - December 3, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
This engaged learning course applies design strategies to real-world problems in a business context; in other words, we take a human-centered approach to innovation. You'll act as a business design consultant working directly with a social enterprise client on a set of challenges throughout the semester, applying design tools, theories and overall process to a project that results in a portfolio-ready deliverable. Working in multidisciplinary teams with real deadlines and deliverables, you will use a design toolkit and mindset for creative problem solving. This collaboration will allow you to immerse yourself in a professional setting in which you explore business opportunities; develop innovative concepts; and propose and prototype innovative and entrepreneurial solutions. You'll tackle issues and challenges such as new product, service or business model development; organizational structure and growth; and external threats and opportunities. Past clients include the City of Ithaca Economic Development and Finger Lakes ReUse.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: AEM 3110 / AEM 5110, relevant coursework/experience, or permission of instructor.
Course Attribute (CU-CEL)
Satisfies Requirement Satisfies the Dyson Grand Challenges project requirement.
- Students will be able to apply qualitative and ethnographic design research techniques in a client-based project.
- Students will be able to hone visualization and storytelling methods to synthesize and communicate data and concepts.
- Students will be able to use the iterative process for problem solving: generating, testing, and refining ideas, products, business models, etc.
- Students will be able to practice working collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams.
- Students will be able to model innovative concepts at the intersection of design and business.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Warren Hall 138
- Aug 22 - Dec 5, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: