- Schedule of Classes - October 15, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - October 15, 2021 7:28PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
This course centers on the design, production, and use of exhibits in both informal and formal science education settings, for the purpose of increasing engagement in and understanding of physics. Geared toward K-12 and general audiences, the physics phenomena, concepts, and principles addressed will include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, wave motion, sound, and light. With tangible deliverables that include a physical artifact--the exhibit itself, a showcase event, and a video that clearly articulates the physics concepts elucidated by the exhibit, much of the course will be very-hands on and participants will learn to safely use a variety of tools to construct their exhibits.
When Offered Fall, Spring.
Comments Credit will appear on the transcript, but the course may not count towards graduation or good standing, depending on the student's college; it does not count for students in A&S.Outcomes
- Design, build, and present an exhibit, intended for a K-12 audience, that demonstrates and demystifies a physics phenomenon.
- Develop a deeper understanding of science education theories, concepts and practices as they relate to exhibit design and delivery through synthesis of readings and journal reflection.
- Develop or enhance the creative, problem-solving, and hands-on skills required to construct exhibits.
- Increase fluency in science communication, and produce a clear, concise and visually appealing video highlighting the exhibit.
- Increase self-efficacy and identity in science while providing service to the broader community by creating physical and online resources and by participating in visits to local schools.
- Provide an opportunity for informal physics enrichment on our own campus with a showcase in the Physical Sciences Building atrium.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits Sat/Unsat(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory)
Class Number & Section Details
- MClark Hall 294E
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: