- Schedule of Classes - February 7, 2022 7:27PM EST
- Course Catalog - February 7, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
This course is designed to provide hospitality, healthcare-related, policy, management, design or other interested students with introductory knowledge and understanding of the terminology regarding the rapidly growing fields of senior housing and care including , CCRCs, home care, skilled, memory care and assisted living. While similar in a number of ways to other hospitality facilities, the course will expose students to some of the unique issues involved in assessing feasibility, design, development, marketing, and operations of these senior-housing and related types of properties/communities/programs. Through lectures, guest expert presentations, panels, research/reflections and in-class question/answer/discussion sessions, students will gain background on decision making, management, and regulatory issues. One or two real time or pre-recorded virtual tours are planned to a local community as possible.
When Offered Fall.
- Identify the basic history and growth of these segments of the market along with general understanding of some terminology common to the field. (Understanding of healthcare financing, regulatory and delivery systems(4), Analysis of social and behavioral determinants of health.
- Identify and categorize a number of facility issues and special attributes on the design and operations of senior housing, assisted living and CCRCs.
- Write a brief description of some unique aspects of branding, marketing and sales approaches to senior housing and assisted living properties.
- Explain some current or potential future trends and innovations and to be able to identify at least one potential entrepreneurial opportunity in the field.
- Describe different financing options available to developers of senior living facilities and distinguish some of the advantages and disadvantages between them.
- Identify opportunities to apply hospitality approaches to healthcare settings whether it be senior living or related areas.
Seven Week - First. Combined with: HADM 6033
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit S/U NoAud(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Online Meeting
- Sep 26 - Oct 30, 2021
Instruction Mode: Online
Disabled for this roster.