- Schedule of Classes - June 18, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 18, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021. Courses of Study 2021-2022 is scheduled to publish by July 1.
Introduction to linear finite element static analysis for discrete and distributed mechanical and aerospace structures. Prediction of load, deflection, stress, strain, and temperature distributions. Major emphasis on underlying mechanics and mathematical formulation. Introduction to computational aspects via educational and commercial software (such as MATLAB and ANSYS). Selected mechanical and aerospace applications in the areas of trusses, beams, frames, heat transfer, and elasticity. A selection of advanced topics such as dynamic modal analysis, transient heat transfer, or design optimization techniques may also be covered, time permitting.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: seniors or permission of instructor.
Satisfies Requirement Satisfies senior design requirement if enrolled in MAE 4701.Outcomes
- Students will understand the mathematical and physical principles underlying the FEM as applied to solid mechanics, thermal analysis and select aspects of fluid mechanics.
- Be able to create his/her own FEM computer programs, for mathematically simple but physically challenging problems, in MATLAB.
- Be able to compare FEM results obtained with MATLAB with those obtained from ANSYS. Analyze more complex problems (in solid mechanics or thermal analysis) using the commercial FEM code ANSYS.
- Demonstrate the ability to design a component using FEM analysis (both MATLAB AND ANSYS).
- Make clear and effective technical presentations, both in terms of form as well as content, of his/her work and write clear technical reports describing his/her work.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TRUpson Hall 225
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: Planned for In Person
To fulfill M.E. senior design requirement, enroll in MAE 4701.
Or send this URL: