- Schedule of Classes - June 20, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 20, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021. Courses of Study 2021-2022 is scheduled to publish by July 1.
Main features of energy conversion by wind turbines. Emphasis on characterization of the atmospheric boundary layer, aerodynamics of horizontal axis wind turbines, and performance prediction. Structural effects, power train considerations, siting and wind farm planning, offshore.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: MAE 3230 (or equivalent) or MAE 3050, MAE 3270.
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
Satisfies Requirement Satisfies senior design requirement if enrolled in MAE 4021.
- Students will understand the need for carbon-free energy production and the functions of wind turbines.
- Analyze the aerodynamics of wind turbine blades.
- Predict efficiency of energy extraction.
- Understand how wind fields are characterized.
- Be able to estimate blade loading and mechanical response.
- Understand the basics of electrical generators and mechanical to electrical energy conversion.
- Understand the factors in choice of sites for turbines and wind farms.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TRTo Be Assigned
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: Planned for In Person
Or send this URL: