- Schedule of Classes - November 25, 2021 7:40PM EST
- Course Catalog - November 25, 2021 7:27PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Provides students with a practioner's focus on financial, managerial, and leadership issues in the non-profit sector, both domestic and international, including universities, hospitals, environmental groups, arts organizations, government agencies, and foundations. The course will include an overview of non-profit financial statements, financial ratios, debt issuance, bond ratings, endowment management, budgeting, venture philanthropy, auditing and ethics, tax issues, organizational governance, leadership, strategy, mergers & alliances, and executive compensation. The course includes such guest speakers as the founder of a major Indian non-profit organization, the head of credit ratings at Moody's, the leader of a social services agency, and others. The course has a mid-term and final exam along with three 5-page papers on completing a bond rating for a university, balancing a budget for a hospital, and recommending merger partners for a struggling non-profit.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: professional studies students, graduate students, juniors and seniors; others by permission of instructor.
- Students will apply tools for evaluating financial statements in the nonprofit sector.
- Students will evaluate debt financing as a financial management strategy, including how debt financing impacts financial flexibility, financing techniques, bond ratings, and coverage ratios.
- Students will apply tools for evaluating alternative investments (particularly in the context of endowments).
- Students will evaluate frameworks for nonprofit management, including frameworks for risk management, auditing, conflict of interest, organizational governance, and partnership/alliance-building.
- Students will analyze Form 990s, and evaluate how these documents inform nonprofit tax and compliance issues.
- Students will draft three short, analytical papers on interpreting financial ratios for a college, analyzing a budget for a hospital, and recommending a merger of several nonprofits.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- MW Ives Hall 217
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: