- Schedule of Classes - June 12, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 12, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021. Courses of Study 2021-2022 is scheduled to publish by July 1.
This is a course on networks and text in quantitative social science. The course will cover published research using text and social network data, focusing on health, politics, and everyday life, and it will introduce methods and approaches for incorporating high-dimensional data into familiar research designs. Students will evaluate past studies and propose original research.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: HD 6760 or GOVT 6029 or SOC 6020 or equivalent.
Distribution Category (SBA-HE)
- Learn to critically evaluate empirical research that uses text as data or social network analysis.
- Connect fundamentals of research design to high-dimensional data analysis.
- Develop verbal and written skills via in-class discussion, presentations, and written assignments.
- Learn to represent complex relationships quantitatively and conduct high-dimensional data analyses using statistical programming.
- Learn methods for avoiding over-fitting in high-dimensional data analysis.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Opt NoAud(Letter or S/U grades (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- WTo Be Assigned
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: Planned for In Person
Or send this URL: