- Schedule of Classes - June 21, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 21, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021. Courses of Study 2021-2022 is scheduled to publish by July 1.
Discusses principles involved in using biomolecules (e.g., antibodies, enzymes, DNA) and living organisms (e.g., bacteria, yeast, tissue cultures) for engineering biological processes. Examples will be taken from the following application areas: biopharmaceuticals, biofuels, biomedical technologies, foods, and environmental processes.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: CHEME 3900 or permission of instructor. No prior background in biological sciences required.
- Learn and reinforce fundamental biology principles and how to apply them to engineering problems. (a, e)
- Build mathematical models of cell growth, metabolism and bioreactor operation. (a, e, k)
- Learn current methods in biotechnology from critically reading current literature and orally answering questions in class based on reading material. (a, f, g, j)
- Design a biological product as well as a process for its production and manufacturing (team-based design project). (c, d, e, g, j, k)
- Gain experience with working in teams. (d) Gain experience giving formal oral presentations. (g)
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TRTo Be Assigned
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: