- Schedule of Classes - November 28, 2021 2:41PM EST
- Course Catalog - November 28, 2021 2:27PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Chemical products range from specialty chemicals, biologic based products, to electromechanical devices that perform chemical transformations. This course integrates the steps of chemical product design from brainstorming and concept selection through design and manufacturing while recognizing the overlap with Lean operating principles. Students will be taught house of quality, robust design, failure modes and effects analysis, and learn to apply Lean Manufacturing principles. Other topics include multi-generational product planning, FMEA, sustainability and product life-cycle analysis, basic economic evaluations, process mapping, cycle time content and balance, lead-time assessment and management, quality performance analysis and remediation, demand/takt time analysis and relation to demonstrated process capacity, process stability assessment, six sigma, entrepreneurship and new business development, as well as patents, and intellectual property. Case studies will illustrate concepts.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: CHEME 3230, CHEME 3240, CHEME 3320, CHEME 3900 or equivalent.
- Learn how to capture the voice of the customer through construction of the house of quality for a chemical product. (a,c,e,g,k)
- Learn how to use Taguchi Methods to improve the quality of a chemical product during the design phase. (a,b,c,e,g,k)
- Learn how large chemical product and process design projects are organized and executed. This outcome includes developing a working understanding of risk management methods, multi-generational product plans, and stage-gated product delivery processes. (a,c,e,g,k)
- Learn and reinforce fundamental process performance assessment principles and how to apply consistent thinking on driving improvement through effective/sustainable problem solving and optimization. (a,c,e)
- Put the concepts taught in the lecture to practice through case studies and hands-on lab work, and preparation, presentation, and proposal of a new product.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Olin Hall 245
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
Open to CHEME graduate students and seniors who have completed: CHEME 3230, CHEME 3240, CHEME 3320 and CHEME 3900.
Or send this URL: