- Schedule of Classes - June 17, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 17, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021. Courses of Study 2021-2022 is scheduled to publish by July 1.
In-depth look at the concepts and issues surrounding the conservation of insects and other invertebrates. Topics include sampling rare populations; insect conservation genetics; the role of phylogeny in determining conservation priorities; refuge design; saving individual species; plus the unique political, social, and ethical aspects of insect conservation and preservation of their ecological services (i.e., pollination, decomposition, pest suppression, and insectivore food sources).
When Offered Fall (offered alternate years).
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: entomology or conservation biology course or permission of instructor.
- 1.1 Students will appreciate the often overlooked economic and ecological roles of insects and by extension the dangers associated with their declining diversity. 1.2 Students will be able to identify and evaluate ethical issues involved with conservation.
- 2.1 Students will acquire the abilities to use multiple integrated techniques to assess the state of insect diversity in general and for individual species and services. 2.2 Students will develop underlying skills to prioritize among conservation alternatives and developing conservation plans.
- 3.1 Students will participate actively in discussion and debate about insect conservation with peers. 3.2 Students will work together to facilitate discussion and understanding of contentious issues. 3.3 Students will gain experience searching the scientific literature to learn more about insect conservation biology from primary sources.
- 4.1 Students will collect and organize information with team members to report on a specific insect species or issue of their choice. 4.2 Students will summarize and codify data from a literature review to learn about the hypothesis-driven approach to scientific research.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: ENTOM 3440
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TRTo Be Assigned
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
Prerequisite: Entomology or conservation biology course or permission of instructor
Or send this URL: