- Schedule of Classes - June 12, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 12, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021. Courses of Study 2021-2022 is scheduled to publish by July 1.
A broad integration and overview of the origins, nature, and dynamics of infectious disease in humans, plants, and animals. An examination of the historical and contemporary concepts and impacts of infectious agents on hosts at multiple spatial and temporal scales and at different levels of biological organization. The ecology and evolution of pathogens, hosts, and vectors are also discussed. Consideration of newly emerging diseases in human, plant, and animal populations and the influence of human activities on global disease spread. Current and future issues and trends in disease monitoring and mitigtion will also be addressed.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: sophomores or higher.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: two of the three core undergraduate biology courses, BIOMG 1350, BIOG 1440/BIOG 1445, BIOEE 1610/BIOSM 1610, or the equivalent.
Distribution Category (OPHLS-AG)
- Discuss their own concept of health and disease.
- Describe how infectious diseases influence human, plant, animal and global health.
- Compare and contrast human, animal, and plant diseases.
- Explain the basic form, function, behavior, and diversity of infectious agents and their vectors.
- Identify the important details of specific diseases of humans, plants, and animals.
- Distinguish the different ways in which human, animal, and plant hosts defend themselves against infectious agents.
- Apply sound reasoning skills to identify the cause and effect in host-pathogen systems
- Formulate good questions and have the skills to answer those questions.
- Critically analyze and interpret data sets to make logical inferences from those data.
- Utilize their understanding of disease biology to predict how new diseases might emerge.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- MWFTo Be Assigned
- Aug 26 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
At least sophomore standing and two of the three core undergraduate biology courses or the equivalent.
Or send this URL: