- Schedule of Classes - February 7, 2022 7:27PM EST
- Course Catalog - February 7, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
The course is designed to prepare students who will be participating in a service-learning experience or field research emerging markets. It is primarily a preparatory course for students who will be participating in Student Multidisciplinary Applied Research Teams (SMART) projects over the winter intersession and the spring semester. Students planning independent research or internships in cross-cultural environment and with social enterprises can also benefit from this course. The course covers inter-cultural competence, case study methods, risk and security abroad, Institutional Review Board (IRB) for human participants, and analytical framework applicable to social enterprises in emerging markets.
When Offered Fall.
Course Attribute (CU-CEL, CU-ITL)
Comments Preparation for service-learning or field research.Outcomes
- Identify inter-cultural models, cultural differences and proven approaches to meaningful engagement with other cultures.
- Use multiple frameworks in analyzing the macro and micro-environments of social enterprises in emerging markets.
- Explain case study methods including background research, write up, analysis and teaching notes.
- Identify multiple resources available (on and off campus) to support students before, during and after their international engagement.
- Work and communicate in multidisciplinary teams to solve real-world problems.
- Consider legal and ethical considerations for research dealing with human participants including compliance with Cornell's Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Seven Week - Second. Combined with: AEM 5415
Credits and Grading Basis
1.5 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- M Warren Hall B02
- Oct 20 - Dec 7, 2021
Instruction Mode: In Person
This class is intended to prepare students for service-learning or field research.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.