- Schedule of Classes - October 19, 2020 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - October 19, 2020 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
Evolution is the central concept in biology. This course examines evolution as a science and places it in an historical context. Classes focus on descent with modification, the nature of natural selection, the history of the earth, the information content of the fossil record, and processes responsible for diversification (speciation and extinction). The science of evolutionary biology is presented in the context of a broader history of ideas in science. The course also explores the importance of evolutionary thinking in the 21st century, including discussion of antibiotic and pesticide resistance, personalized genomics, eugenics, and climate change.
When Offered Fall, Summer.
Permission Note Intended for: students with no background in college biology.
Distribution Category (PBS-AS, BIO-AS)
Satisfies Requirement Does not meet evolutionary biology requirement for biological sciences major.
Comments May not be taken for credit after BIOEE 1780 or BIOEE 1781.Outcomes
- Provide examples of the kinds of questions evolutionary biologists ask, and the types of tools and evidence they use to answer them.
- Recognize and correct common misunderstandings about evolution.
- Differentiate between the four main mechanisms of evolution (mutation, natural selection, migration, genetic drift).
- Communicate about evolutionary principles to classmates and the general public.
- Describe examples of evolution occurring in the modern day.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: BIOEE 1180
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWOnline Meeting
- Sep 2 - Dec 16, 2020
Instruction Mode: Online
Intended for students with no background in college biology. May not be taken for credit after BIOEE 1780 Does not meet evolutionary biology requirement for biological sciences major.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: