- Schedule of Classes - March 3, 2021 7:15PM EST
- Course Catalog - March 3, 2021 7:16PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
Do you want to use digital platforms to reach your audience and communicate science beyond conference seminars, posters and journal articles? You need a science communication strategy! Sharing scientific discoveries is a skill that all scholars should have. In this course you will learn from librarians, local science café curators, podcast producers and from scientists and communication professionals how to build an audience using digital platforms. Fill your science communication tool box, learn how to engage a non-scientist audience through storytelling using videos, podcasts, Wikipedia editing, public science events, social media platforms, blogging and press release writing. Work in groups to apply your skills to a topic of your own research interest. An Engaged Cornell grant will support students' participation in a local science café.
When Offered Fall, Winter, Summer.
Course Attribute (CU-CEL)
- Students will be able to demonstrate how to engage the public in a scientific dialogue using a science communication strategy plan.
- Students will be able to to translate scientific journal articles into easily consumable content for the public.
- Students will be able to gain hands-on experience with digital communication platforms and learn how to prepare information suitable for those platforms
- Students will be able to understand and apply the components of science literacy.
- Students will be able to improve their critical thinking skills as they analyze and evaluate potential media information sources. By doing so, students will gain a deeper appreciation for how information is produced and consumed.
- Students will be able to develop skills necessary for today's education and tomorrow's employment.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Online Meeting
- Sep 2 - Dec 16, 2020
Instruction Mode: Online
Disabled for this roster.