- Schedule of Classes - May 22, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 22, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019. Courses of Study 2019-2020 is scheduled to publish mid-June.
Active learning course covering viticulture and enology principles and practices, emphasizing cool climate production. Course examines environmental factors affecting grape production and quality, soils, and anatomical and physiological bases for vineyard management decisions. All aspects of winemaking prior to bottling are covered, from appropriate harvest decisions to wine stabilization decisions. The effects of different vinification options on final wine flavors & quality are explored in depth.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: graduate students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: college level biology course, college level chemistry course and VIEN 1104 (may take 1104 concurrently).
Comments Co-meets with FDSC 2204/PLHRT 2204/VIEN 2204.Outcomes
- Illustrate the phenology and growth of grapevines.
- Demonstrate wine flavor evaluation and appreciation techniques.
- Describe different grapevine rootstocks, their attributes, and backgrounds.
- Discuss the climatic requirements of grapevines.
- Explain chemical changes during fruit development & ripening and how they relate to harvest decisions based on wine style.
- Define and evaluate the impact of viticultural practices and environmental influences on vine growth and fruit composition.
- List and recognize grape pests and diseases.
- Apply basic chemistry and biology principles to winemaking techniques & analyses.
- Explain winemaking practices, including typical procedures used and the scientific rationale for choosing a particular technique from alternatives at each step.
- Access & discuss information in books and articles, using good critical evaluation skills.
Regular Academic Session. Choose one lecture and one discussion. Combined with: VIEN 2204
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
Graduate-level section of VIEN/PLHRT/FDSC 2204. Graduate students only.
Or send this URL: