- Schedule of Classes - January 8, 2020 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 8, 2020 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
Genetic enhancement of crop value to humans began with domestication and continues with farmers' variety development and scientifically trained plant breeders' applications of Mendelian, quantitative, and molecular genetics. This course examines crop genetic improvement methods by discussing the history and current practice of plant breeding, tools available to breeders, choices and modifications of those tools to meet specific objectives, and challenges plant breeders face in developing varieties for the future.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOMG 2800 or PLBRG 2250 or other standard genetics course and course in crops or horticulture.
Distribution Category (OPHLS-AG)
- Explain the genetics that control plant characteristics and how genes can be manipulated to improve plant traits.
- Describe the reproductive mechanisms in crop and horticultural plants.
- Explain the range of phenotypic traits that are important targets of genetic improvement for crop and horticultural species.
- Describe the techniques and approaches used to breed self- and cross-pollinated crops, fruits, and vegetables.
- Describe the development of hybrids.
- Explain the uses of phenotypic and genomic selection techniques.
- Describe recurrent selection techniques.
- Describe the role of tissue culture and genetic transformation in plant improvement.
- Identify and appreciate the contributions plant breeding has made to improve crop plants and increase the world's food supply.
- Summarize concisely in writing the objectives, main results, and conclusions described in primary research papers in plant breeding and genetics.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TRPlant Science Building 143
Prerequisite: BIOMG 2810, PLBR 2250, or other standard genetics course and course in crops or horticulture.
Disabled for this roster.