- Schedule of Classes - May 22, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 22, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019. Courses of Study 2019-2020 is scheduled to publish mid-June.
This two-weekend, 2-credit course is designed to provide hospitality or other interested students with introductory knowledge and terminology regarding the rapidly growing fields of senior housing, CCRCs, and assisted living. While similar in a number of ways to other hospitality facilities, the course will expose students to some of the unique aspects involved in assessing feasibility, development, marketing, and operations of these senior-housing and related types of properties. Through lectures, case studies and in-class question/answer/discussion sessions, students will gain background on decision making, management, and regulatory issues. A field trip may be taken to a local facility as feasible with the size of the group.
When Offered Fall.Outcomes
- Identify the basic history and growth of these segments of the market along with general understanding of some terminology common to the field. (Understanding of healthcare financing, regulatory and delivery systems(4), Analysis of social and behavioral determinants of health.
- Identify and categorize a number of facility issues and special attributes on the design and operations of senior housing, assisted living and CCRCs.
- Write a brief description of some unique aspects of branding, marketing and sales approaches to senior housing and assisted living properties.
- Explain some current or potential future trends and innovations and to be able to identify at least one potential entrepreneurial opportunity in the field.
- Describe different financing options available to developers of senior living facilities and distinguish some of the advantages and disadvantages between them.
- Identify opportunities to apply hospitality approaches to healthcare settings whether it be senior living or related areas.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: HADM 6033
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits S/U NoAud(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (no audit))
Or send this URL: