- Schedule of Classes - May 19, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 19, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019. Courses of Study 2019-2020 is scheduled to publish mid-June.
Covers fibers commonly used in various engineering, medical, and apparel applications. Topics include the nature of polymer molecules, the chemical structure of organic fibers, inorganic fibers, micro-macro structure of fibers, fiber dimensions, environmental effects, and mechanical, optical, thermal, and frictional properties of fibers. The following fiber uses are discussed: composites in aerospace and other structural components, circuit boards, bulletproof vests, sutures, artificial arteries, geotextiles, sporting goods, and others.
When Offered Fall (offered alternate years).
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: 20 students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: college chemistry and physics.
- Polymers: Understand the basic chemistry of polymers, used for forming fibers for various applications from composites to textiles. Understand the basic structure/morphology of fibers. Understand the formation of fibers and control of structure and properties. Understand various fibers used for different applications and the basis for their use in those applications. Be able to recognize different fibers and characterize their mechanical, moisture and optical properties.
- Dyeing and Finishing: Recognize how finishing processes can be used to enhance fabric properties. Understand basic chemistry of flame retardant, stain resistant and water repellant finishes. Recognize various dyeing and printing processes used on fabrics. Understand basic relationship between fiber chemistry and dyeing chemistry.
Regular Academic Session. Choose one lecture and one laboratory.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- WHuman Ecology Building 156
Or send this URL: