- Schedule of Classes - May 18, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 18, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019. Courses of Study 2019-2020 is scheduled to publish mid-June.
Comprehensive introduction to the physical, chemical, and nutritional properties of foods and to the principles and practice of food science and technology. Topics include chemistry and functionality of commodities and ingredients, chemical, physical and biological phenomena that affect food quality, techniques of processing and preservation, microbiology and fermentation, food safety, regulation, and contemporary issues.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: college-level courses in general chemistry and biology; organic chemistry or concurrent registration.
Distribution Category (OPHLS-AG)
- Demonstrate the ability to define parameters that collectively determine the quality of foods, and describe the chemical, biochemical and biological phenomena that impact quality parameters.
- Demonstrate the ability to link the functionality of food ingredients with their chemical and physical, nutritional and biological characteristics in the context of specific foods or categories of foods.
- Identify and describe the physicochemical and biological phenomena that underlie the major methods of food preservation, and recognize foods whose quality is extended by the use of such methods.
- Demonstrate the ability to independently locate authoritative information on food regulation and composition, and on contemporary issues of national and international importance using federal web-based resources.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: NS 3450
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
Beker Aydemir, T
Prerequisite: college-level courses in chemistry and biology; organic chemistry or concurrent registration. DNS/FDSC majors get priority for spaces in class. If you are not able to enroll, please contact Terry Mingle (tpm2).
Or send this URL: