- Schedule of Classes - October 21, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - October 21, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
This capstone course completes the Minor in Community Food Systems, encouraging student reporting and reflection on what they have learned both on and off campus-- in coursework, and in their practicum experience. Guest speakers (including community organizers and food systems researchers) and webinars with other such community/campus engagements enable students to situate their experience in the larger movement of local food system sustainability, and to build affinity networks. The course pays particular attention to the ways that race, class, gender, sexuality, indigeneity, politics, worldviews, and other forms of difference shape theory, practice, privilege and power in (and beyond) the food system.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: DSOC 3400.
- Drawing from Parker Palmer's notion of "boundaries, openness and hospitality" participants in this course strive to create a democratic learning community with an inclusive climate that allows for freedom of expression, critical reflection, active listening, constructive dialogue, meaningful participation, and enhanced understanding.
- Exercise a prophetic sociological imagination that is not only critical but also hopeful and energizing.
- Understand and contribute to publicly engaged learning and research in and through successful capstone projects.
- Draw on and integrate different conceptual tools and ways of knowing within and beyond academic disciplines and fields.
- Collaborate across cultural, social, political, economic, religious, sexual identity, and racial/ethnic differences.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWarren Hall 137
Enrollment required for: students who have completed the CFS Minor practicum in the summer before the capstone is offered.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: