- Schedule of Classes - January 8, 2020 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 8, 2020 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
Chemical products range from specialty chemicals to electromechanical devices that perform chemical transformations. This course integrates the steps of chemical product design from brainstorming and concept selection through design and manufacturing. Students will be taught and practice using the basic tools and principles of chemical product design, including TRIZ, house of quality, robust design, design for manufacturability, and FMEA. Other topics include multi-generational product planning, sustainability and life cycle analysis, basic economic evaluations, risk management, an introduction to entrepreneurship and new business development, as well as intellectual property and freedom-to-operate assessments. Case studies drawn from industry will also be illustrated.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: CHEME 3230, CHEME 3240, CHEME 3320, CHEME 3900 or equivalent.
- Learn how to capture the voice of the customer through construction of the house of quality for a chemical product. (a,c,e,g,k)
- Learn how to use Taguchi Methods to improve the quality of a chemical product during the design phase. (a,b,c,e,g,k)
- Learn how large chemical product design projects are organized and executed. This outcome includes developing a working understanding of risk management methods, multi-generational product plans, and stage-gated product delivery processes. (a,c,e,g,k)
- Learn entrepreneurial aspects of new product proposal and design, including position of technology in the marketplace and economic analysis.
- Put the concepts taught in the lecture to practice through hands-on labwork and preparation, presentation, and proposal of a new product.
Regular Academic Session. Choose one lecture and one laboratory. Combined with: CHEME 4611
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TROlin Hall 245
Open to CHEME graduate students and seniors who have completed: CHEME 3230, CHEME 3240, CHEME 3320 and CHEME 3900.
Disabled for this roster.