- Schedule of Classes - January 8, 2020 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 8, 2020 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
Introduction to neuropharmacology, with an emphasis on the neural mechanisms of psychoactive drugs. Topics include a brief introduction to neuropharmacology and a discussion of the major neurotransmitter families. The rest of the course covers the major psychoactive drugs, including cocaine, heroin, psychedelics, marijuana, and alcohol, as well as pharmaceuticals for the treatment of anxiety, schizophrenia, and depression. Includes a term paper in the form of a grant proposal to study a current problem in neuropharmacology. The course will use i-Clickers, which the students should have before the first class. BIONB3920 website
When Offered Fall (offered in odd-numbered years only).
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: 85 students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIONB 2220 or equivalent course in neurobiology by permission of instructor. Recommended prerequisite: knowledge of biochemistry.
Distribution Category (PBS-AS)
- Master the basics of pharmacology and understand the biochemical, physiological and neural pathways of drug actions in the brain.
- Understand the neural mechanisms of addiction and withdrawal of psychoactive drugs, and the therapeutic actions of major psychiatric drugs in the brain.
- Critically analyze and evaluate papers from the neuropharmacology literature.
- Design research plans utilizing modern neurobiological techniques to test hypotheses in neuropharmacology.
- Search the literature, to propose solutions to currently unsolved problems in neuropharmacology, and to test them experimentally.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TRCorson-Mudd A106
Prerequisite: BIONB 2220 or equivalent course in neurobiology by permission of instructor. Recommended prerequisite: knowledge of biochemistry. Dis TBA. P
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: