- Schedule of Classes - January 31, 2019 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 31, 2019 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019.
Urban archaeologists study American Indian, colonial, and 19th-century sties that now lie within the boundaries of modern cities. The course explores how urban centers evolve, what lies beneath today's cities, and how various cultures have altered the urban landscape. Students participate in a local, historical archaeological excavation.
When Offered Fall.
Distribution Category (CA-AG, HA-AG)
Course Attribute (CU-CEL)
- Integration of Writing, Visual Representation and/or Speaking Presentation Skills. The Journals, archaeological field forms, and measured drawings of floor plans and wall plans of the excavation units will measure the students writing and visual presentation skills. The open house days will enable the students to develop their presentation skills. The final exam will also measure the students' skills in writing.
- Develop a disciplinary literacy through history, theory, and contemporary issues/ practice. The final exam will test/measure the student's understanding of the literature and contemporary practice in American historical archaeology.
- Develop technical skills in archaeology. The students will be graded on their skills in field techniques. Their field forms and field journals will measure their ability to examine, describe, discuss, and analyze their findings in from their fieldwork.
- Students will work in teams to develop skills in negotiation and collaboration. Part of the fieldwork grade will evaluate the students' ability to work in partnerships.
- Develop critical thinking. The final exam will measure the student's ability to place archaeological evidence within its historical context, to evaluate, compare and contrast evidence in order to arrive at conclusions.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- FMcGraw Hall B65
3 Saturday class times will be required as well.
Disabled for this roster.