- Schedule of Classes - January 7, 2018 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 7, 2018 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
Active learning course covering viticulture and enology principles and practices, emphasizing cool climate production. Course examines environmental factors affecting grape production and quality, soils, and anatomical and physiological bases for vineyard management decisions. All aspects of winemaking prior to bottling are covered, from appropriate harvest decisions to wine stabilization decisions. The effects of different vinification options on final wine flavors & quality are explored in depth.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: graduate students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: Graduate student status with college level biology course, college level chemistry course and VIEN 1104 (may take 1104 concurrently).
- Illustrate the phenology and growth of grapevines.
- Demonstrate wine flavor evaluation and appreciation techniques.
- Describe different grapevine rootstocks, their attributes, and backgrounds.
- Discuss the climatic requirements of grapevines.
- Explain chemical changes during fruit development & ripening and how they relate to harvest decisions based on wine style.
- Define and evaluate the impact of viticultural practices and environmental influences on vine growth and fruit composition.
- List and recognize grape pests and diseases.
- Apply basic chemistry and biology principles to winemaking techniques & analyses.
- Explain winemaking practices, including typical procedures used and the scientific rationale for choosing a particular technique from alternatives at each step.
- Access & discuss information in books and articles, using good critical evaluation skills.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: FDSC 2204, FDSC 5204, PLHRT 2204, VIEN 2204, VIEN 5204
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWF Stocking Hall 202
Vanden Heuvel, J
Disabled for this roster.