- Schedule of Classes - January 7, 2018 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 7, 2018 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
This course provides students with a practitioner's focus on financial and managerial issues in the nonprofit sector, including universities, hospitals, government agencies, and foundations. The course includes an overview of nonprofit financial statements, debt issuance, endowment management, credit analysis, organizational governance issues, strategic planning, industry trends, executive compensation, and philanthropy.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Limited to MPA students. Others by permission of instructor.
- Students will apply tools for evaluating financial statements in the nonprofit sector.
- Students will evaluate debt financing as a financial management strategy, including how debt financing impacts financial flexibility, financing techniques, bond ratings, and coverage ratios.
- Students will apply tools for evaluating alternative investments (particularly in the context of endowments).
- Students will evaluate frameworks for nonprofit management, including frameworks for risk management, auditing, conflict of interest, organizational governance, and partnership/alliance-building.
- Students will analyze Form 990s, and evaluate how these documents inform nonprofit tax and compliance issues.
- Students will draft three short, analytical papers on interpreting financial ratios for a college, analyzing a budget for a hospital, and recommending a merger of several nonprofits.
Disabled for this roster.