- Schedule of Classes - January 7, 2018 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 7, 2018 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
At the intersection of mechanical and electrical engineering, Mechatronics involves technologies necessary to create automated systems. This course introduces students to the functional elements of modern controlled dynamic systems. Topics include analog circuits - both passive and active components, filter design, diodes, transistors, MOSFETs and power amplification, pulse width modulation, transduction - mechanical and electro-mechanical devices such as electromagnetic systems, gear trains, optical encoders, discretization, aliasing, and microprocessors and programming. Lab experiments culminate in the design, fabrication, and programming of a microprocessor-controlled robotic vehicle, which laboratory groups enter into a class-wide competition.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note For Mechanical Engineering Majors. Other Majors enroll in MAE 3783.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: MATH 2930, PHYS 2213, or permission of instructor.
- Students are able to apply Kirchoff's laws to modern circuits and electro-mechanical devices. Students solve for the dynamic response of first and second order systems.
- Students perform experiments with electrical circuits containing modern components and electro-mechanical systems; laboratory reports are delivered for some experiments and the final project.
- Students design and construct a robotic vehicle that uses sensors to determine information about its environment. Each robotic vehicle system utilizes unique sensor configurations and software. The software controls a small microprocessor that the vehicle carries, in addition to a sensor suite, motor drivers, actuators, and battery pack.
Regular Academic Session. Choose one lecture and one laboratory. Combined with: MAE 3783
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWF Hollister Hall B14
Fulfills Electrical Circuits requirement for MechE. Enrollment limited to M.E. Majors and those officially taking the MAE Minors. Strictly Enforced. Graduate students contact instructor. All others, enroll in MAE 3783.
Disabled for this roster.