- Schedule of Classes - January 7, 2018 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 7, 2018 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
This course investigates the diverse tropical cropping systems in various parts of the World including the biophysical attributes where these systems are utilized by farmers. It looks at the crops and animals that are part of the farming system but also introduces students to a systems analysis where problems, causes of problems, interventions to resolves these problems and the consequences of the recommendations are investigated as the main part of the course. The students prepare a group portfolio of information on a specific tropical cropping system in a specific geographical area as their final output.
When Offered Fall.
Distribution Category (D-AG, OPHLS-AG)
Course Attribute (CU-ITL, CU-SBY)
- Describe the biophysical, crop/animal management and socio-economic factors that differentiate tropical from temperate cropping systems and how they affect crop/animal selection and performance.
- Discuss the agronomic and social features of major tropical cropping systems found around the world in terms of crops grown, animal interactions, management practices, productivity, utilization, markets and trade.
- Identify constraints, emerging trends and externalities that impact productivity, profitability, sustainability or livelihoods in major tropical cropping systems.
- Research and present a scientifically sound evaluation/critique and system analysis of an agricultural development project, which critically assesses information gathered from literature sources to substantiate evaluations, recommendations and expected impacts.
- Successfully work with a peer group to tackle multidisciplinary problems.
Choose one lecture and one discussion. Combined with: PLSCS 4140
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Opt NoAud(Letter or S/U grades (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- TRBradfield Hall 105
Prerequisite: interest in agriculture and tropical cropping systems.
Disabled for this roster.