- Schedule of Classes - January 7, 2018 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 7, 2018 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
Thirteen units that cover protein structure and function, enzymes, basic metabolic pathways, DNA, RNA, protein synthesis, and an introduction to recombinant DNA techniques. No formal lectures, auto-tutorial format.
When Offered Fall, spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course and one year general chemistry and any of the following organic chemistry courses: CHEM 1570, or CHEM 3530, or CHEM 3570, or CHEM 3590, or equivalent, or permission of instructor. Recommended corequisite: BIOMG 3340.
Forbidden Overlaps Forbidden Overlap: Students may receive credit for only one course in the following group: BIOMG 3300, BIOMG 3310-BIOMG 3320, BIOMG 3330, BIOMG 3350, NS 3200.
Comments Biological Sciences majors must take course for a letter grade.Outcomes
- After taking BIOMG 3300, students should be able to: -Discuss and describe in writing: The structure and function of biologically important macromolecules, the general catalytic and regulatory mechanisms of enzymes, the energetics, organization, and regulation of metabolic pathways, the mechanisms underlying DNA replication, DNA repair, transcription and its regulation, and translation (protein synthesis), the techniques used to study proteins, membranes, and nucleic acids.
- Think analytically and use quantitative reasoning to solve biochemical problems.
- Formulate conclusions based on the analysis of biochemical experimental results.
- Students should recognize that the advancement of knowledge is facilitated by collaboration between individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and beliefs.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TBA Stimson Hall 219
Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course and one year general chemistry and any of the following organic chemistry courses: CHEM 1570, or CHEM 3530, or CHEM 3570, or CHEM 3590, or equivalent, or permission of instructor. Recommended corequisite: BIOMG 3340.Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade. No formal lectures, auto-tutorial format. Organizational meeting: Tuesday, Aug 22, 4:30 - 5:30 PM, BKL 200. Attendance is required.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: