- Schedule of Classes - January 7, 2018 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 7, 2018 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
Laboratory topics include the methodology of mammalogy, and the characteristics and diversity of mammals. Focus is on terrestrial mammals of North America.
When Offered Fall.
Fees Course fee: $30.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: 20 students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite or corequisite: BIOEE 4500.
Comments Travel to Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates (CUMV) at the Laboratory of Ornithology is necessary. Some laboratories involve studies of skeletons and museum specimens; dissection of both preserved and fresh material is possible. Techniques relating to the ecology of mammals in the field will be presented; an all-weekend field trip is intended. Normally 1 credit, but up to 5 students in the class may do an additional project for 1 further credit involving field- or museum-based mammalogy.Outcomes
- Students will be able to use the basic techniques of mammalogy as applied in museums, in the field and to captive mammals.
- Students will be able to describe the functional anatomy of a mammal.
- Students will be able to look at different types of mammal, identify them to major groups and be able to make logical predictions about their ways of life and how they may have evolved.
- Students in the 2-credit option will be able to execute all stages of a research project, including experimental design, data collection, analysis, interpretation in the light of existing literature, and write-up.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
1-2 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- W Stimson Hall 310
Prerequisite or corequisite: BIOEE 4500. Course fee: $30. Travel to Cornell Univ Museum of Vertebrates is necessary. An all-weekend field trip may be scheduled. Normally 1 credit, but up to 5 students in the class may do an additional project for 1 further credit involving field- or museum-based mammalogy.
Disabled for this roster.