- Schedule of Classes - May 18, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 18, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019. Courses of Study 2019-2020 is scheduled to publish mid-June.
Introduction to micro and nano devices that allow the digital world to both sense and actuate in the physical world. Design and analysis of modern MEMS/NEMS (Micro/Nano Electromechanical Systems) touch, accelerometers, gyroscopes, pressure, microphones, neural probe sensors. Design and analysis of electrostatic, piezoelectric, thermal, and magnetic actuators for frequency control and micro robotic applications. This is an interdisciplinary course drawing from mechanics, materials, solid state devices, CMOS electronics, and micro and nano fabrication. The students design, fabricate, and test a microsensor chip to implement class concepts.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: ECE 2100 or equivalent, or permission of instructor.
- Be able to design and model a digital app-based electronic interface to integrated sensors.
- Be able to model spring-mass equivalent models of micro/nano fabricated structures, using analysis and finite-element analysis software.
- Be able to use individual fabrication steps into a device fabrication process flow.
- Be able to design and model electromechanical models of planar surface micromachined accelerometers and gyroscopes.
- Be able to design membrane based sensors and actuators such as pressure monitors and microphones.
Regular Academic Session. Choose one lecture and one discussion. Combined with: ECE 4320
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Or send this URL: